Home Collection InstructionsEn Español
If you choose the home collection route for your SCSA test, you will need to follow the directions below very carefully to ensure accuracy.
You will receive in the shipment:
- Pre-cooled dry shipper in a mushroom shipper or box for discretionary issues. Please see photo to the right. As the name "dry shipper" implies, the coolant is contained within an adsorbent so that no liquid can spill out of the tank - an airline regulation. The temperature inside the tank is very cold, and when semen samples are placed inside the metal tank, they will remain frozen until they arrive at our laboratory.
- Collection supplies provided in a gallon-size ziplock bag are shipped inside the mushroom shipper or box and can be opened by removing the cable tie on the mushroom shipper. A mushroom shipper will be sent to you unless specified in the shipping notes on the order form that you want to receive in a box. The bag contains the following items:
- Return Federal Express paperwork
- 1 large-mouth plastic jar (for collecting the semen)
- 1 metal cane with 3 cryovials attached (your name is written on them)
- 2 plastic bulb pipettes
- 3 cable ties
- 1 packet of PRE~SEED lubricant
Please use only the supplies provided by SCSA Diagnostics for the test. If any parts of the test supplies are missing or broken please notify us immediately and we will ship a new test kit out to you.
- You should have one ejaculation prior to submitting a semen sample for SCSA analysis to ensure that sample contains fresh sperm. For example, ejaculate - abstain 2-3 days- ejaculate the final time for SCSA analysis. When ready to ejaculate for the final sample, remove the lid and masturbate into the jar. If a lubricant is preferred, please use the PRE~SEED sample included in the Home Collection Kit. We strongly recommend using PRE-SEED lubricant for conception by intercourse; it causes the least sperm DNA damage relative to other lubricants.
- Wait about 1 hour for the semen to liquefy (to become more fluid-like or less viscous). Keep collection jar at room temperature in a darkened area.
- Remove the small plastic vials from the metal cane and then remove the tops from the small plastic vials.
- Place the bulb end of a plastic pipette between your thumb and finger, squeeze out some air and then place the tip of the pipette into the semen in the plastic jar. By reducing the pressure of your fingers on the bulb, the semen will be drawn up into the pipette.
- Place the tip of the pipette into one of the small plastic vials; gently squeeze the bulb of the pipette, and the semen will flow into the vial.
- Transfer semen APPROXIMATELY to the marker line drawn on the outside of the vial. It is not critical if a little more or less is transferred. Close the vial.
- If more semen is available, repeat the procedure for the two additional vials. Only a small amount is needed for this test, but we prefer to obtain additional semen if repeat analysis is necessary.
- Snap all filled vials back onto the metal cane with the vials upright.
- For our convenience, please fill out the Data Requisition Form.
- Cut the plastic cable tie on the center cap of the tank.
- Pull up to remove the cap.
- Drop the metal cane holding the semen vials into the center of the tank. PLEASE DON'T BREAK METAL CANE IN HALF.
- Replace the cap into the top of the pre-cooled tank and use a plastic cable tie between the holes to secure it (the same place you cut the tie off when you opened the package).
- Place all required paperwork in the mushroom or box along side the tank.
- Close the cover of the mushroom. Secure the butterfly lock with the cable tie (also the same place you cut the tie when you opened the package).
- Secure the enclosed Federal Express Label to the handle of the mushroom or box and secure it with a cable tie.
- You may take the package to Federal Express or call 1-800-GO-FEDEX and have them pick it up at your home. Verify that the shipment is 2-DAY and what day they will pick it up. YOU MAY COLLECT THE SAMPLE ON A SATURDAY OR SUNDAY BUT DO NOT CALL FEDEX TO COME PICK IT UP ON EITHER OF THESE DAYS, ALTHOUGH YOU MAY TAKE IT TO A FED EX LOCATION TO BE SHIPPED ON A SATURDAY OR SUNDAY. If you chose to drop it off, please ship from an actual FedEx location, not a FedEx Kinkos.
- If a Federal Express agent asks what the package contains, it is simply a frozen biological sample being sent in a pre-cooled dry shipper. The point about the pre-cooled dry shipper is important, as no liquid can leak out. If you have any problems shipping the package, call our lab immediately (866-219-1338).
- SCSA® Diagnostics, Inc. will measure the sample and the results will be sent to your physician or your email within a week of us receiving the sample.
- Tank has a limited shelf life so you must call FedEx for a return pick-up or drop off at a FedEx location (not a Kinkos) within 7-10 days from the date you received it, to guarantee the sample remains frozen.
NOTE: We reserve the right to choose the most appropriate carrier. If shipping from outside the United States, special forms need to be filled out in order to properly and quickly clear US Customs. When done correctly, we have not experienced delays.
SHIP by Federal Express to:
SCSA® Diagnostics, Inc.
302 6th Street West
Brookings, SD 57006